The Smithsonian Rooms at Arenal Observatory Lodge & Spa are named after the U.S. Smithsonian Institution scientists who began coming to the area in the 1970s to study the Arenal Volcano. Our lodge was originally built to accommodate the groups of scientists, students and occasional tourists who visited Arenal and La Fortuna, Costa Rica.
Our Smithsonian Rooms are located either in the main hotel building, by the hotel restaurant or near the swimming pool area. Very spacious, they all showcase huge picture windows which frame the majestic Arenal Volcano and the beautiful rainforest and gardens. Smithsonian Rooms have two queen-sized beds (4 rooms have king-sized beds), a private bathroom, a private deck, a coffeemaker and a room safe. Five rooms are fully equipped for disabled guests with wheelchair access.
Room rates include:
- Full buffet breakfast
- Costa Rican taxes
- Free Wi-Fi (common areas)
- Safe boxes in all rooms
- Free guided morning hike along property trails
- 11 km (7 miles) of well-maintained trails for walking, horseback riding & mountain biking
- Free access to the observation tower “The Nest“
- Property Map and Birds List
- Access to viewpoints of Arenal Volcano, Arenal Lake, Cerro Chato, and the Tilarán Mountain Range
- Swimming pool & Jacuzzi
- Children ages 0-8 years receive free lodging (sharing room with parents)
- Children 9 years and older pay as an adult
- Maximum 4 persons per room
- For security reasons our main gate closes at 11:00 p.m.
- Check in: From 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Check out: 12:00 p.m.
- No pets allowed
- The use of drones in the property is prohibited without prior permission from management.
- No smoking in rooms or public areas (Law No. 9028)
- Credit or debit cards used by guests at Arenal Observatory Lodge & Spa will be charged in local currency (colones at the official exchange rate) payments in euros or Canadian dollars are not accepted.