The Smithsonian Rooms at Arenal Observatory Lodge & Spa are named after the U.S. Smithsonian Institution scientists who began coming to the area in the 1970s to study the Arenal Volcano. Our lodge was originally built to accommodate the groups of scientists, students, and occasional tourists who visited Arenal and La Fortuna, Costa Rica.
Our Smithsonian Rooms are located either in the main hotel building, by the hotel restaurant, or near the swimming pool area. They all showcase huge picture windows that frame the majestic Arenal Volcano and the beautiful rainforest and gardens. Smithsonian Rooms have two queen-sized beds (4 rooms have one king-sized bed), a private bathroom, a private deck, a coffeemaker, and a room safe. Five rooms are fully equipped for disabled guests with wheelchair access.
Room rates include:
- Buffet breakfast (Now served à la carte for COVID-19 prevention)
- Free Wi-Fi (in common areas)
- Free walk in the morning accompanied by a guide, through the shipments of the property
- 11 km of trails in good condition for walking, mountain biking, or horseback riding
- Free entrance to the 28-meter observation tower “The Nest“
- Use of the pool and jacuzzi
- Access to the Arenal Crossfit Challenge, our 8 km multisport fitness circuit
- Admission to the Observatory Museum
- Property Map and Bird List
- Children ages 0-8 years receive free lodging (sharing room with parents)
- Children 9 years and older pay as adults
- Maximum 4 persons per room
- For security, our front gate closes at 11:00 pm
- Check-in: from 3:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Check-out: 12:00 pm
- No pets allowed
- The use of drones on the property is subject to prior authorization from management.
- Smoking prohibited (law # 9028)
- Credit or debit cards used by the guest are charged in local currency (colones, at the exchange rate) payments in euros or Canadian dollars are not accepted